Friday, July 11, 2014

hunting granny day 2 - and the wiki tree

I'm 2 days into the 100-day project.  It's harder than I thought.  Sacrificing content for looks is one issue, along with keeping entries bite-sized.  I think I'll get better as I go along (hope).

Also the various apps I'd hoped to use to patch together images and text are more cumbersome than I'd imagined they'd be.  I've ended up rolling with a pages template.  It's reasonably clean, but hogs space.   Then, today, there were upload issues.  Turns out they're a known bug, and being fixed, but it made the upload process frustrating.

I've also joined wiki tree - the international family tree project.  I like its goals - to be truly free and collaborative, with a lovely honour code encompassing these shared undertakings.  However, there has been quite a bit of grunt work learning about exporting a GEDCOM (internationally accepted file for a family tree database) and then cleaning it up to merge into the wiki tree itself.

Also, I get the feeling that wiki tree is largely a US undertaking - so probably not a huge number of collaborators out there for me.  I suppose only time will tell.

Finally, I seem to have inadvertently dumped my Sarah Pratt journal transcript.  God knows how/when. Am so irritated with myself about that.  Oh well.  Maybe I'll turn up another copy somewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment